Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Forgiveness

There have been some issues in our extended family in the past few months. Most of these have been due to misunderstandings, but some of these are due to feelings of resentment and unforgiveness.  I have been a party to some of this and I feel terrible about it.  I have asked family members for forgiveness but they have refused it.  This is what the bible says about forgiveness:


Colossians 3:13
Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
Matthew 18:21-22
Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?” Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.
Matthew 6:14-16
For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.
Mark 11:25
And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins


As I read it, we are commanded to forgive if we are Christians and if we don't we are in sin.  It doesn't mean that you have to spend large amounts of time with them, but you do have to forgive them. 

I hate that members of the family are harboring bitterness and unforgiveness and I pray that their hearts will soften, because in the end they are only hurting themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment